I was born in 1958 and raised in Newton, Iowa. I attended the University of Northern Iowa where I earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Art Education in 1981. I moved to Illinois with my wife shortly after graduation to teach Middle School Art as well as coach multiple sports. Over the next 34 years I earned a Master of Science degree in Art Education as well as a Master of Arts degree with an emphasis in Painting from Northern Illinois University. I also served 6 years in the Illinois National Guard. My wife Patti and I have four grown children.
My interest in watercolor came from the desire to teach my students professional techniques with a medium readily available and safe to use. In this pursuit I have attended workshops with Tom Lynch, Tony Couch, Tony VanHassalt, and Andy Evansen. I give great credit to Andy Evansen for making the biggest impact on my current style and approach. I retired from teaching in 2015 and began working in earnest to develop a more professional finish to my paintings and began attending festivals and entering competitions in 2016.
Most of my current work uses the subject of the local farm countryside. I have always had a love of the landscape. Growing up in central Iowa and then living in the farm surrounded community of Millington located in north central Illinois has served as inspiration for my paintings. While the subject of my paintings are the farms it is the light of the day that I try to capture to help tell a story of the type of life the people of these communities enjoy and endure.
Ottawa Art League Southwest Artists Illinois Watercolor Society Transparent Watercolor Society of America American Watercolor Society American Impressionists Society
Awards and Shows-
- Honorable Mention. Prairie Centers for the Arts Plein Air Competition, Schaumburg, IL
- Art of the Heartland National Juried Show and Competition.
- FAV15% Recognition in the FASO Boldbrush Competition for August, September and October.
- Solo Show "Scenes from the Heartland" Prairie Arts Center, Princeton, IL
- First Place, Prairie Arts Festival Schaumburg, IL
- Second Place, Art in the Park Festival, Ottawa, IL
- Solo Show, "Close to Home", The Paint Box Art Gallery, Peru, IL
- Southwest Artists Landscape Award, Art of the Heartland National Juried Show and Competition.
- FAV15% in the FASO Boldbrush Competition for the months of March and May.
11" x 15"
Watercolourist, watercolor painting, Iowa, Illinois
landscapes, farms, nature, seasons
Millington, Illinois Artist